Friday, October 9, 2009

Encrypted message

Sender: unknown
Origin: unknown
Received: 9 October, Friday

Decrypted message reads:


Dear Mother and Father,

Please call soon. Even with everything going on here, I will find time to speak with you. I need to know the truth of Father’s condition—I understand your desire to protect me, but not knowing the extent of his illness puts me in terrible doubt. Is it the same weakness that plagues all of your generation, or is he truly ill? I beg you to let me know.

I hope this will be the last message that I must send you in secret. Once the wedding has occurred I am certain that, for good or ill, all will be resolved and I will be keeping no secrets from my fiancĂ©. For now though things seem to be growing more dangerous with every passing day. Yesterday I believe I came within a hairsbreadth of my fiancĂ© discovering the truth of how I am molding the human assistant for my own ends in the coming struggle. The girl came into the office at an inopportune time, while the two of us were arguing about the implications of the changed wedding date. I have placed a great burden onto the girl’s unknowing shoulders.

I am glad she is ignorant of her role, for even uninformed she is in such grave danger. Things will be bad for her in the coming weeks; I cannot imagine how much worse they would be if she had any inkling of how I plan to use her.

However, I have also decided (after a long period of contemplation) that I must take the risk of contacting the Waking Guard to seek their help. If they ignore my entreaty and then later my attempt to contact them comes to light, the repercussions can be no worse than what I already expect to face if my plan fails. They are potential allies though, and I believe it is worth the risk to seek their help. I sent a message two days ago in the ancient codes, asking them to meet with me. I am certain they will find the message. The only question is whether or not they will believe that I write in good faith.

Time speeds forward. By the end of this month all will be resolved.
But in the meantime, Mother and Father, care for yourselves. Knowing that you are safe and comfortable will put me greatly at ease and free my attention for what I need to do.

With love,
Da’ashalenne


(Continue to status updates.)