Friday, November 13, 2009

Outbox: Keeping in touch

Sender: David Ages
To: Brook Haupenstaat

Subject: Keeping in touch

Dear Brook,

I hope this message does not feel out of the blue, coming as it does nearly a month since our last correspondence. I wish to give you a sense of how things have progressed on my end, what changes have occurred in my life and what I hope to see in the future.

First of all, if I have not communicated my gratitude in strong enough terms, please allow me to take a moment now and state that I could not possibly have regained my dignity and my good name in the eyes of my people so quickly and completely without your assistance. Your most thorough description on the events on the 12th of October did much to convince the conclave to clear me of any wrongdoing. While some of them had entertained doubts about Darcy’s intentions, the extremes to which she went were beyond even what they found readily believable.

In the time since we last parted company I have, as you may have heard, become heir to the marketing empire that Darcy and her parents so skillfully developed. Though it is not my chosen field, I do acknowledge that there is a great deal of power in controlling the words and messages that people hear. I am very busy with the work of learning this trade, and repairing the damage that was done when Darcy’s headquarters was destroyed.

I hope it is not too forward of me, but I wish to emphasize how very taxing this work has been—and state most emphatically that this has been a major deterrent to contacting you. I should like to become more closely acquainted with you Brook, to learn of your interests and opinions over candlelight and wine. At a time like this, when I could not possibly ignore my work for even the span of an evening, I choose not to contact you because I dislike the concept of approaching you in half measure.

Our time together has been not only brief but also strained by overpowering circumstances. Still, I sense I am not amiss in my sensation that you would respond favorably to a romantic overture. When the time is right, I do hope that you will accept my invitation.

I must go now and respond to some of my innumerable duties. Again, thank you for the vital role you played in last month’s circumstances. I look forward to the day when I can contact you in earnest.

Yours,

David Ages


(Reaction?)