Monday, November 30, 2009

Outbox

Sender: unknown
Origin: unknown

Received: 30 November, Monday

Decrypted message reads:


Dear Mother and Father,

The contract has been signed, and as of 11:00 this morning the building is mine! It is such a relief to have a center for my operations, even if this does now mean the beginning of the long and arduous task of reorganizing everything.

As I mentioned, the top floor is already laid out as a luxurious home for the type of businessman who would rather be in constant contact with his operations than have any human contact. That suits me well enough, as it ensures a degree of privacy that I will certainly treasure as soon as the conclave starts inspecting my business and lifestyle.

I fear they will begin intruding sooner than I would like. It seems that the lower-caste members wish to induct me into their quorum as soon as possible, convinced that I will side with them. The more reactionary members, meanwhile, are determined to find fault with me and thus hope to thoroughly examine my life before I have a chance to gather my bearings in my new position. Of course, I hear all of this information by hearsay, and you surely know at least as much if not more than I do about the situation.

After signing the papers I was able to find half an hour in which to survey my new holdings. The residence was very thoughtfully appointed, and it will require minimal alterations to make it entirely suited to my needs. I am anxious to get started, so I have already contracted builders to work at a hasty schedule. I may be able to move into the master bedroom as early as next week. Though the personal effects of the previous owner were all taken by his next of kin, the lawyers gave me the option to buy the place furnished—and I happily accepted. I am content not to burden myself with such considerations at this time.

I suspect it will still be at least a month or two before I can comfortably invite you to come and stay with me. In the meantime, I am heartened to know that you are both doing well. I look forward to hearing your voices when I call tonight.

It is a pleasant feeling to know that the secrets and subterfuges that brought me to this position are slowly melting into the past, and I hope that I will soon be able to bring perfect honesty to all of my dealings. And I look forward to the not-too-distant date when I have your examples of honor and goodness always before me, to guide my choices.

Ever yours,

Da’ashalenne



(Continue.)