Friday, September 11, 2009

Encrypted message

Sender: unknown
Origin: unknown
Received: 11 September, Sunday

Decrypted message reads:

Mother and Father,

I am sorry it has taken me so long to write you. I hope that the cursory, guarded messages I have sent since I arrived assured you at least that I am safe and have been treated well. I have been under heavy supervision since I last left your presence three long weeks ago. In that time I have tried to establish a fixed enough pattern to make my watchers lose interest, and this was the first time I felt confident that I could write honestly to you.

It is even worse than we feared. The whole city is in terrible danger, and they will be in a position to act even sooner than we thought. We cannot wait for the conclave—it will be too late then.

If I have to act alone, do not fear that I know which risks are worth taking and which are not. I will seek out tools that I can use against this threat, and I will not needlessly sacrifice myself. Still, the lives of millions of our human cousins may be forfeit if I do nothing.

All I can do now to alleviate your fears is to ask you to trust me as you have so faithfully in these past few years. Rest assured that I will come to you if I can think of any help that is within your means to provide.

Spies and traitors surround me. I must make all choices with great care, but I am ever on the lookout for any tools or aids that might assist me in the inevitable coming struggle.

For now, I am safe. I am being well cared for and so heavily pampered that I might go mad. I miss you both, and in my heart I shine only for you.


(Continue with Chelsea's post.)